During our discussion, I brought up the idea that the social aspect is most centrally located in the social interactions between the students. I noticed that in most of the talks about how to change the NCLB and in general about the social well-being of the child, it has always been about trying to get them out of poverty. I understand the reasons for the interest; no one would want students to come to school poor or unhappy because of their home situation. But without the government taking over the entire raising of children, this cannot necessarily be stopped by social programs. I believe in extra help programs for these issues like shelters and free breakfast from the local social science groups to be connected to the school so students can use these resources if need be. However, all students deal with the social aspect within schools and therefore it is important to deal with that issues, especially since the school environment is easier to control than the environment at home. Students deal with drama with friends, fighting, bullying, stalking and romantic drama. All of these effect what a student is doing in class, especially on their ability to pay attention. Students are strongly affected by the interactions with students and sometimes really negative experiences with other students can cause really big problems.
I was told that it is really difficult to get rid of these problems in the classroom, that if a teacher is focusing on that aspect as a teacher it might detract with teaching regular information. I don't believe that is true. If you reinforce the idea that all students are respected in your classes it is relatively easy to keep correcting wrong actions while focusing on the academic aspect of the school. For instance, the teacher could assign people into the groups for small group projects rather than the students themselves to make sure that the students aren't leaving anyone out. Or the teacher could talk about how if students leave someone out or don't agree to work with certain people that the students would be kept after the bell. No kid wants that so everyone would quickly get into groups and to make sure to include everyone. Even if this is an affective way of stopping students from excluding people, it would be better for the students to reason out why this is right and work hard to follow the idea to respect their classmates.
Friday, July 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Resources for language arts units
- mystery 1
- mystery 2
- mystery 3
- mystery 4
- mystery 5
- mystery 6
- mystery 7
- mystery 8
- mystery 9
- mysteryl 10
- myth and legends 3
- myth and legends 4
- myth and legends 5
- myth and legends 6
- myths and legends 1
- myths and legends 2
- myths and legends 7
- myths and legends 8
- myths and legends 9
- myths and legendsl 10
- poetry 1
- poetry 2
- poetry 3
- poetry 4
- poetry 5
- poetry 6
- poetry 7
- poetry 8
- poetry 9
- poetryl 10
- poetryl 11
- poetryl 12
- poetryl 13
Teaching Strategies and Classroom Management: Helpful SITes
- Teaching methods menu
- Teaching methods
- Method list
- English teacher reference
- teaching strategy blogs
- Teaching Strategies book
- Reading strategies index
- Behavior menu
- Managing misbehavior
- Teaching methods and behavior issues
- Addressing behavior problems
- Teaching Strategies for English and bands
- Core Strategies
Epigram 86
When I would know thee, my thought looks
Upon thy well-made choice of friends, and books ;
Then do I love thee, and behold thy ends
In making thy friends books, and thy books friends :
-Ben Johnson
Upon thy well-made choice of friends, and books ;
Then do I love thee, and behold thy ends
In making thy friends books, and thy books friends :
-Ben Johnson
Vanessa, I really believe that you have the right idea. I think that if you emphasize the importance of classroom environment and mutual respect, and make it concrete, you can have a big impact on how people treat one another in your classroom. I am also a big advocate for involving the students in the process of setting expectations and ground rules...they know what makes for a classroom that is more or less conducive to learning. In addition, if they're in on the setting of expectations then they're more likely to be truly invested in the implementation of the rules.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great issue to be thinking about, Vanessa, and I'm delighted to see you doing so.
Vanessa,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that we should provide a safe environment for all viewpoints. Though we can strive to achieve impartiality, it's almost humanly impossible -- don't you think? Somehow, our belief systems are revealed in our body language, actions and other nonverbal cues, maybe even in the tone we use. I found this to be true in journalism. Many writers, though striving for objectivity, ultimately reveal a point of view through the way they arrange words or emphasize certain ideas.
But certainly a civil discussion is necessary and the teacher should strive for neutrality whenever possible.