It is called "The Average Child" by Mike Buscemi,
I don’t cause teachers trouble;
My grades have been okay.
I listen in my classes.
I’m in school every day.
My teachers think I’m average;
My parents think so too.
I wish I didn’t know that, though;
There’s lots I’d like to do.
I’d like to build a rocket;
I read a book on how.
Or start a stamp collection…
But no use trying now.
’Cause, since I found I’m average,
I’m smart enough you see
To know there’s nothing special
I should expect of me.
I’m part of that majority,
That hump part of the bell,
Who spends his life unnoticed
In an average kind of hell.
Gosh, Vanessa. It's hard to imagine too many "texts" more important to keep in mind as you start your teaching career than this one. Thanks for sharing this.
ReplyDeleteI really like this. I always feel like the "average" students just have potential that isn't necessarily brought out in the classroom. It really has always seemed like only the really poor students and the really good students received any attention in the classroom. And especially if any of those middle students are quiet, it is hard to gain any extra support or recognition. :-( I'll keep this poem in mind when I'm in my future classrooms.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting it!